Thursday, November 11, 2010

You've got to be kidding me!

You may remember awhile back I mentioned the boys were getting Synagis, a vaccine for RSV. We were thrilled when we got the letter in the mail saying Nickolas had been approved. When I told the pediatrician a few days later she was thrilled as well. She said that Tristan's letter was probably just lagging in the mail, that they wouldn't approve one and not the other. Well, we never got a letter for Tristan, but I figured it was just a form letter they sent out and didn't have room for both names, and continued to wait for the pediatrician's office to call with the details of coming in for the first round of shots this month. Just last night I told Josh I was getting a little nervous that we hadn't heard anything. Turns out, it was with good reason.

This morning they called me and said the hang up was because the insurance saw the same last name and birthdate on the paperwork, so they simply threw Tristan's out. Nice, huh? Oh, wait. It gets better. So Tristan's paperwork was re-submitted, and denied. Pediatrician's office didn't think it was fair that one twin would get and the other not. I completely agree. So they had to re-submit paperwork for both of them, this time they were both denied.

The twins' low birth weight was not a big enough risk factor. So the pediatrician's office called and asked if they attended day care. No. Are they out of the house for 3 hours or more at a time on any day of the week? I guess if you count church... This was good enough for them. They appealed the insurance informing them they attend daycare one day a week. (Hehe) Insurance said they had taken Joey being under 3 into account, but they don't consider the season to start until Nov. 15th, and they are not high enough risk after they turn 3 mos. They turned 3 mos. on Nov. 4th. 11 days. 11 days is what is stopping my tiny sons from receiving this vaccine. Forget the fact they were about the same size (within just a few ounces) at 2 months as 2 of my cousins had babies BORN THAT SIZE around that time. They are 11 days too old.

This is why insurance companies are often spoken about as a cuss word.

Please don't be offended if we decline to see you or shove a bottle of hand sanitizer in your face before I let you hold them this winter. Unfortunately, that is the only thing I can do to try to protect them. It wouldn't be fair to keep Joey from nursery or cancel Cubscouts, although admittedly, both have crossed my mind. What a joke.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Oh, for crying out loud!! I can't believe that's their decision. Considering how much of their lives that the boys have already spent in a hospital, it seems like the insurance company would be vested in keeping them out of there again. Yikes!
And no complaints from this branch of the family if you feel you need to keep your family in isolation during the RSV season. Seems like a really great idea to me.

balloongal said...

Oh my gosh. Aaaaaaargh!
But yeah, be on the safe side. I had summer babies before, so now that I have a fall baby, I'm more reluctant to take him out places around a lot of people for a while anyway.

Annie said...

You know pulling Joey out of nursery may be a good idea. I know it doesn't seem nice, or fair for that matter, but it's cesspool of germs in there. And it doesn't seem to matter how much you wash their hands, they've always got them somewhere they shouldn't be (like some other kids mouth!) We have several parents who do that very thing because they have little babies in their homes and it never seems to hamper the kids to much. In fact, I don't think most of them care! Good luck friend and like I told you earlier don't worry about offending other people. In fact, you could probably put some hand sanitizer on a binky clip and just clip it to each of them! (j/k but seriously). Better to be considered rude and obsessive them spend time in the hospital with sick kids...believe me it's not fun but then I guess you already know that! :)

Annie said...

PS (are you tired of my comments yet) honestly talk to your bishop and see if there's anything that can be done about scouts. Like maybe josh could do it himself at the church, or they could find someone else to do it for a while, or even make sure that parents know that even if the kids are just sniffly they should stay home. Having all those boys in the house probably isn't great for the germ count! not to mention that kids can be carriers but not sick (learned that with Trace a few years ago when everyone got sick except him!). Good luck!

Cami said...

Oh my heck, that is ridiculous! I am so sorry. Don't feel bad about keeping your kids home or keeping them away or whatever you need to do!